Memorial Day Week I remember the first time I ever visited Durango, Colorado. It was spring break in March, and I was in my third year of college at LSU. My mom and I flew into Albequerque and drove up to Durango for a week. Roland and Liz were dating at the time, and Liz took off a week of work to hang out and show us around...what an awesome future sister-in-law to take time out for us (Roland proposed that June)! I'm pretty sure we went to Mesa Verde, Telluride, and all the other popular local hotspots. It was definitely the beginning of a Mora tradition. Going to Durango never gets old. I have visited all seasons, flown and driven in from every which way, and I must confess summer and early fall are my favorite times to venture there. The fact that both of my brothers live in town is a huge plus, and that made this last visit all the merrier. I love walking out the back door, down the street and up one of the many nature trails to Ft. Lewis, walking in to town to Maria's Bookshop, taking a cruiser down the rivertrail, walking barefoot on the amazing grass at Tremble Hotsprings, Ginger cookies from "Bread", hearing the train whistles during the early morning departures or late afternoon returns, burgers on the patio at The Palace on Monday nights, Bloody Mary's at El Rancho when the time is right, Papa Murphey's pizza to go, and the list goes on. After almost twelve years vacationing there, I think of Durango as my second home, an oasis of family and outdoor relaxation always awaiting my arrival. It's a special place to me, and Brad has also fallen in love with it as well...he loves fly fishing when the river is low, rafting on the Animas, hiking and biking...oh, and we both adore HOMESLICE pizza and Serious Texas BBQ...yum yum. I am so blessed and incredibly fortunate to have such an eclectic, animated and adventurous family...nothing is ever boring when you throw us all together. With Madelyn absolutely connected at the hip with her cousin Isabel, I know she will want to visit more and more as she gets older...and we hope to one day maybe (cross your fingers) be able to afford a small second home there. Our family is certainly growing, Isaak Edward was born while we were there (what a little blessing) and it couldn't of been more spontaneous and exciting...I think he wanted to make sure we met him before we left!! Edward and Judi are soon expecting in November, and then, wa-la...our family has grown by two! I am so grateful for this special place that holds a huge space within my heart. Here are some pics from our travels last week:
Above: Brad, Edward and Mora Friends rafting the Animas at Smelter ...
Hanging out in Silverton by the Animas....crackers, cheese, Modelo and exceptional scenery...

We can't go to visit Edward now without a picture by the train...this time it's just leaving Silverton heading back to Durango... Below: Andrew's Lake...a pass on the way to Silverton....good times!
Judi and Edward
Above: I love this picture so much!! Click on it to expand...
Above: Such a sweet of the girls with Isaak...
Below: Yay!!! Liz, Isaak, Isabel and Roland....family of four! Way to work it Liz!!! 
Welcome Isaak Edward Mora...you are so loved...what an amazing gift for Roland's 40th birthday!
Izzy when Roland met us outside the hospital to bring us in.... 
Above: Judi on the phone with Liz...her water had just broke while she was in a late afternoon meeting..we were so excited! Brad gave the girls giant blow pops to distract them...think it worked?
Below: At the River Rat having lunch....a favorite lunch spot for us!
Above: A little shower of surprise for everyone....YAY! Below: Hanging out in Mancos
Couldn't resist posting these pics of the girls in their boots!!! Framers? I think so!
Below: Good times with Art...check out this handmade beauty and his spunky and spooked horse Avatar...
Above: Another framer...blue skies at the park
Below: Madelyn taking full advantage of picking flowers in Aunt Judi and Uncle Eddie's backyard...

Enjoying the festivities during the Iron Horse 

Above: Roland and Liz's new house....you know you are in Durango when parties equate major bike traffic and parking..
Above: Aunt Judi and giant lollipops! Below: Crazy facepainting and fire throwing....nice Roland!
Memorial Day Weekend BBQ at Roland and Liz's
1 comments:
did liz have the baby while yall were there? i wish i had family in such a beautiful place!
Post a Comment